features news forums
Search Forum:
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:50 pm 

Bit of a bid for help please... Recently moved into a flat with the above running 6 rads and the hot water. Water runs fine, but the heating will run for maybe an hour, then the pressure will suddenly rise quickly, vent the over pressure valve (spraying anyone in the wrong part of the garden) and shut the gas off. I have bled the rads and found no air in them. Could there still be some air trapped in the system causing this problem? If so how can I get it out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:09 pm 

Sounds very much as if your pressure vessal has gone, on the 9.24 its large red vessal above the controll panel or sitting on top of the boiler on early models,its suposed to basicaly cussion the expansion of the system water when heating up. on the vessel is a tyre valve if you depress it for a second you should get air out, if its water then its for the bin, simple to change and around £40. the pressure relief valve thats dichargeing the water should be replaced at the same time or it will probably drip when under pressure 9 out of 10 will at that age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:53 pm 

Has anyone ever seen any performance curves for PRVs ?

I went to one where the EV had split due to filling loop being left open when the mains pressure was about 7 Bar and the PRV could not cope.

Tony Glazier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:56 pm 

One has to ask what happen to the pressure relief valve Tony.

scruff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:19 pm 

Sounds to me as though your pressure vessel has lsot most of its air pressure. Being under-charged with air will give your symptoms. It should be pumped up to about 1 bar (15psi).

If yours has failed (water comes out of the Schroeder [spelling?] valve when you check the pressure) you could leave it in situ and fit another one externally. Sometimes easier to do than swapping a built-in vessel.

Cheers, Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 pm 

Had a look at the pressure vessel.. only air coming out of the valve, so I upped the pressure by about 3/4 bar. Waiting to see what happens.... will let you know. Thanks as ever!

Scruff... could there be a prob with the PRV??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:35 pm 

No Tonysmith.

My reply was to Tony argile, who had a 7bar mains pressure and the prv couldn't cope.

The valve should blow at 3 bar.

scruff

This message was edited by thescruff on 10-8-03 @ 10:41 PM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:15 pm 

Went there a few days ago and at 4 Bar the PRV was only letting by about a litre per minute and was totally inadequate to protect the EV.

Another problem today on a Baxi Bahama. The pressure gauge was grossly inaccurate and varied widely as the inlet tube was moved.

The square EV was leaking water on the seams and found to be empty of air. On repressurising it the leak stopped. Does anyone know if it can be trusted or should be renewed ?

Tony Glazier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:40 pm 

Thats what I couldn't understand Tony, the EV should be protected with a Pressure relieve valve set at 3bar.

scruff