features news forums
Search Forum:
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:15 pm 

I have been experiencing an intermittent fault with my boiler ever since it was installed 18 months ago. Occasionally the hot water will suddenly go cold and it takes a "hard-reboot" of the bolier at the power switch, thus restarting the boiler, to get it to make the water hot again!
Error codes galore pop out of the boiler when this happens, and I have had several Vaillant engineers out to TRY and fix it - to no avail!
Any one with any experience of this?
I will greatly appreciate any help/advice before my last few hairs are pulled out ;o)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:27 pm 

Yep, exact same symptoms got the engineer out (via the rep) they changed PCB and that solved the fault.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:13 am 

Hi,

thanx for the reply.

Do you have any details about the fault, who the engineer was etc... so I can report it back to Vaillant?

If so you can email me at matt_taylor@mac.com and i'll send you my address.

Cheers

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:56 am 

What Model Vaillant is it? I have the same problem on my Turbomax 828E ,the thing just locks up usually with error code F62, but sometimes F22.
according to the manual that means irriversible elecronic defect for F62, or pump fault for F22.
I am in doubt as to these being correct, as like you say, switching it off and rebooting gets it working again.
I have a theory that maybe some safety critical software is over reacting to the various sensors in the boiler and maybe vaillant have updated or need to update it on the PCB.
I could be very wrong but it reminds me of the way my pentium PC occassionaly locks up and needs rebooting!.
I would be greatful if you get to the bottom of this and let me know what it was.
John.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:25 pm 

I will get the details about the boiler and post back - it is
in my flat that I rent out. I have also just written to the
MD of Vaillant UK as I am getting really ****ed at this
problem not being sorted. Doeas anyone here know
any contacts there?

Thanks
T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:55 pm 

This ia a good example of why I dislike reliance on error codes. All they indicate is what the boiler " thinks " is wrong with itself. Unfortunately it assumes that everything is perfect and here is only one fault.

My experience of this style of boiler is that the most common faults of partially blocked pipes give misleading fault codes. I would look out for a blockage in the flow to the DHW HE as a first step.

Tony Glazier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:15 pm 

hi there everyone, i have ahd the same problem as plumbmax. keep getting F62 (could be once every 2-3days, could upto 6 times in one day). also been getting some F22. really brasseb off with it, keep getting up and its freezing. also if i leave the boiler on all night (putting timer on constant) you can guarantee it buggers up. i would be very happy if we could get to the bottom of this.
cheers lads

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:09 pm 

Hi again,

Latest update : my corgi engineer who installed the boiler has been back out to re-flush the system. I have a vaillant engineer coming next friday to asses the boiler again.
I will post back after the visit.

We will get to the bottom of this.

If he cannot fix the problem/says there is no problem and it occurs again I will be getting a new boiler fitted from the supplier and writing to Vaillant HO to let them no how useless they have been ;o)

T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:15 pm 

hi all.
tried something new, i turned down the temp on the DHW and CH just a tad. also checked the PCB to make sure of good connections.
i tried this on the day of my last post and the boiler is still running, this is a new record for my boiler. dont know which is keeping it going.
i know it aint the real solution, but it's keeping me warm till it's done proper.
c y'all later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 3:29 pm 

Intermittently operating air pressure switch could be the problem. If the PCB thinks the fans not running cos the pressure switch is playing up - it will extinguish the burner and make the DHW go cold. You won't notice it so much in CH mode as you would on DHW, it tries again after a few minutes. Vaillant Engineer says its a common prob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 5:01 pm 

I had an intermittent problem with the earlier 242 model which eventually turned out to be an intermittent gas valve sometimes failing to open when cold. I was reluctant to change it until I was sure. Vaillant said they had a few cases of dirt in the system sticking the pump when cold.

The 828 is very sensitive to the exact values of the two NTCs on the heat exchanger. I have encountered several where all measurements seem identical between old and new components yet the new ones work ok and the old ones give F62/F22.

This situation usually arises when the boiler has been run without water. Whilst the boiler may be protected against running dry it is usually at the expense of fitting new NTCs.

Tony Glazier