features news forums
Search Forum:
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: fitting a stone resin shower tray onto floorboards
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:07 pm 

Hi all,

I've fitted a number of stone resin shower trays onto suspended floors using the following method, but was wondering if anyone had a better method, as it's use is limited:

1.lift floorboards and run waste pipework under the floor, cutting a hole in the boards to accomodate the trap.
2. lay the floorboards except 1 or 2 just beyond where the tray will extend to
3. fit the tray on a bed of sand and cement with a pre-water tested tray already attached
4. reach under the tray through the 2 floor boards that i've left up to attached the waste pipe to the trap.

I've found this works well, but relies on me being able to keep a couple of boards raised within reach of where the trap is. Now say i'm fitting a tray with an offcentre waste that I can't reach, or say i need all the boards down before laying the tray, how can I hook up the waste (not including cutting a hole in the ceiling in the room below)?

Any help appreciated, as I know I'll hit a situation like this soon!

Oh, and while I'm here.... sand and cement beds... I just spread it out, then run a spirit level over it to level it all, then drop the tray onto the level bed. Is this the best way?

thanks very much

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:29 pm 

Done a resin tray that was mounted on a tiled floor recently. I placed the tray on the floor before it was tiled and marked where the waste hole was ,I then cut the floor and fitted the waste and trap ensuring there was enough play in th pipe to move and left a 4inch hole around the trap.the floor was then tiled and before fitting the tray the trap seal was stuck with a little mastic to the trap and a piece of wire hooked in the trap and the tray placed into position and the trap raised with the wire and fastened.It was fiddly and i hate doing trays like this as if there is a problem they are impossible to get at.Ive been asked to do one on a concrete floor ground level think i will pass on that one.

ant